Q.    What is an LED?
LEDs are based on the semiconductor diode. When the diode is forward biased (switched on), electrons are able to recombine with holes and energy is released in the form of light. This effect is called electroluminescence and the colour of the light is determined by the energy gap of the semiconductor. Wow.


Q.    What is a Lumen?
The lumen (symbol: lm) is the SI unit of luminous flux, a measure of the perceived power of light. Luminous flux differs from radiant flux, the measure of the total power of light emitted, in that luminous flux is adjusted to reflect the varying sensitivity of the human eye to different wavelengths of light.
The lumen can be thought of casually as a measure of the total "amount" of visible light in some defined beam or angle, or emitted from a source.


Q.    What is Lux?
The lux (symbol: lx) is the SI unit of illuminance and luminous emittance. One lux is equal to one lumen per square meter.
The difference between the unit’s lumen and lux is that the lux takes into account the area over which the luminous flux is spread. A flux of 1000 lumens, concentrated into an area of one square metre, lights up that square metre with an illuminance of 1000 lux.
The same 1000 lumens, spread out over ten square metres, produces a dimmer illuminance of only 100 lux.


Q.    Why are LEDs more efficient?
Halogen lamps illuminate by driving electricity through a resistance filament which heats up and gives off light. BUT they convert only 10% of their energy into light, the other 90% of a halogen bulb's energy is converted to unusable heat. What a waste! 
Unlike halogens, LEDs are solid-state devices (see what is an LED) utilising 90% of their energy consumption to produce light.
While far more efficient than halogens and incandescent bulbs CFL's still use more energy than LED's to produce the equivalent amount of light and their life span is five times shorter than LED's. 


Q.    How can I order the LED products on your site?
We currently process orders directly. If you have an interest in our products, send us a message from the contact page clearly stating which energy efficient products you are interested in.
Please include as much information as possible, such as your initial idea of quantity, your application and any questions you may have and we can send you a full quotation and maybe even offer some advice on the successful integration of LED lighting into your project or application.


Q.    How will I receive the products?
Once you have made an enquiry, we will email you the prospective delivery date and order confirmation. Delivery times are usually contingent on the products you have ordered.
We use couriers to deliver our products so you can be sure your order will arrive quickly and in perfect working order. 
If you have any questions about the delivery of your LED lighting from Glowled, please send us a message from the contact page.


Q.    What do I do if they don’t work?
In the unlikely event that a product functions incorrectly, get in touch with us, send the offending part back and we will send you a brand new one.